Portland Yacht Club, on the ocean in Falmouth, Maine, is searching for an experienced Executive Chef for our seasonal Dining Room.
- Serves 375 members (600 individuals in total) and their guests only; not open to the public.
- Kitchen and Dining Room completely renovated in 2010.
- 70-seat Dining Room.
- No alcohol sales; bottle club.
- 6 mile north of Portland ME, 8 miles south of L.L. Bean.
- Start work late April
- Prep: May 1 to last Sunday in May; includes Commissioning Dinner and Mothers Day Brunch
- 20 weeks Dining Service:
- Dinner: Tue – Sat 5/30 through 9/3 (Saturday of Labor Day Weekend). Thu Night cook-out
- Lunch: Tue – Fri 6/13 through 9/1
- Sunday Dinner 6/18 through 8/26
- Club and member private events are conducted during this period.
- Salary: $1000 – $1,250 per week
- Participation in year-end Employee Fund
- Participation in IRA; Club matches up to 3% of salary
- Club Manager
- Food & Beverage Officer and Committee
- Responsible for both front and back of the House
- Careful expense management within budget
- Food safety and sanitation
- Selection, training, and supervision of quality kitchen staff
- Supervision of Dining Room Host who hires and supervises servers
- Menu planning and adjustment
- Food purchasing and vendor management
- Compliance with “bottle club” requirements for member alcohol
- Maintain POS system
- Provides operations reports to Club Manager
- Work with members regarding food for private events
- Demonstrated experience leading a dining room or restaurant; private club experience desirable
- Skilled cook for both formal and informal meals
- Insistence on quality of preparation, presentation, and service
- Understands the business aspects as well as the culinary aspects of the operation
- ServSafe certificate
- Insists on cleanliness and order
- Even-tempered, ability to remain calm under pressure
- Ability to work with volunteers overseeing the operation
What YOU SHOULD do
- Click http://pycme.coffeecup.com/Chef%20Info%20Form%20/ and complete the short questionnaire you will find there.
- Send resumé, references, and any other information you want us to consider, to . PDF format is preferred. Be aware that we take into account the quality of language and appearance in any document you send.
What We will do
- We will review all information you send us.
- We will select applicants for a screening interview, conducted by Shawn Lewis, who was our executive chef for 11 years before moving to a larger operation. He knows what we need and how we operate.
- We will select a small number of finalists for a visit and an interview by our Food & Beverage Committee. They will make the final selection.
- As each stage is completed, we will notify everyone affected by the decisions reached. You made the effort to apply: we will make the effort to keep you up to date.
- We will not contact the references you supply unless we have an interest in your candidacy. We will notify you before beginning that process. If we choose to contact potential references other than ones you supply, you may not be notified.
PYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer